Starting a fish farming business is a complex procedure with various inputs such as finance, ponds, trained manpower and a generous amount of luck. But what is more complicated is maintaining it well so that it generates what you have always wanted – profits from your business. To meet this goal you have to follow certain procedures so that your fish farm is always looked after well. Unlike other traditional forms of businesses fish farming deals with living species so an extra ounce of caution is always required for running it well.
This can be categorized as follows –
- Upkeep of the pond – This is very important if fishes have to grow well. Remove the weeds periodically. This will facilitate dissolution of oxygen in the water. It will also keep the water clear so that sunlight can spread to the bottom of the pond, helping in the formation of planktons or fish food. It also stops diseases and formation of pests that might harm the fish.
- Regular feeding – It is mandatory for the fish to be fed twice a day in sufficient quantities. This will ensure quick growth of fish and early maturity. Rely on compound supplementary feed. Feed the fish from selected points. This process is apart from the fish feeding on planktons in the pond itself.
- Di-silting the pond – This is removing the silt from the pond and ensuring that silt does not form again. It prevents water pollution and enables the fish to move around freely. This is a manual exercise and you might have to hire additional hands. The best option for getting unskilled labour for this task is to contact agencies specializing in labour hire in Melbourne or near your location.
- Maintaining the pool well – Physically check for cracks and leaks in the pool on a periodical basis. The pond should always be filled with water. Clean the pool regularly of weeds and excessive organic matter. This will increase aeration of the pond which is important to facilitate dissolving of oxygen in the water and required by fish for respiration. Otherwise, fish will be driven to the surface due to shortage of oxygen in the water.
Regular weeding will help prevent diseases. This is crucial as an outbreak could wipe out all fish in a pond. Focus on adequate feeding, stocking, and temperature control to ward off diseases.
Application of fertilizer in the water is a key part of maintaining a fish farm. It is advisable to have it done once in a year. This will help the growth of planktons (fish food) in the pond.
- Controlling predators – Snakes and birds can destroy your fish so it is necessary that you take measures to keep predators out. Keep the poolside clean and free of weeds and other foliage that can become a place for snakes. You can also spray insect repellant around the pond but not near the water.
- Regular harvesting – Harvest the fish regularly. This will prevent over population, cannibalism and outbreak of disease. About once in six months, go for total harvesting, either by skimming off the fish by net or through draining of the pond. Clean the pool thoroughly and start the cycle all over again.
Following these points will surely help you optimize maintenance of your fish farm.